5 ways mobile phones are bad to your health
If you don’t have a cell phone at the moment then you’re definitely one of the minority, cell phones have become one of the most common pieces of technology you’ll see today. There’s a reason for that, as plenty of people need to communicate with each other on a daily basis. There’s always going to be a downside to everything though, and that’s exactly the case with cell phones as well. They may seem like they’re completely harmless at first, but there is actually an abundance of ways they can seriously harm your health.
Your life needs to be taken seriously, so if these cell phone ailments seem to be affecting you, make a change. It’s probably just as hard as quitting cigarettes, but the negative effects of prolonged cell phone use are definitely there. They’re one of the most effective ways to communicate, especially since communication is one on the most important traits today’s society shows.
1. Your Emotions – Your emotions can actually be affected by cell phones, and that’s something that you really don’t want to go through. It’s strange enough to think that a piece of technology could negatively alter our minds, but that’s exactly what’s happening here. There was a study conducted where strangers would pair up and talk to each other in a room, they had to tell one another about an important event. Some pairs had a phone on the desk, whereas other didn’t. Needless to say, the phone pairs weren’t exactly “social” with one another.
2. Stressing You Out – Cell phones can stress you out too, increasing your stress levels to almost twice of that in which they were before. It was reported (from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden) that using a mobile phone frequently could lead to stress, as well as sleep disturbances. It has to do with people constantly checking their phones and worrying about trivial things, like social media and such.
3. Immune System – Have you ever noticed that there’s sort of a greasy film on your phones screen? It usually pops up after a long day of use, and it’s not as clean as you may think it is. It can actually have a lot of bacteria and other nasty viruses stored in there. There was a study conducted in which around 390 cell phones were taken for “bacteria samples”, and a whopping 92% of the phones cam back positive. I don’t know about you, but that’s a lot more dirty than I’m used to.
4. Vision – Staring at a cell phone screen for prolonged periods of time has the ability to damage your eyes, just like anything else with a LED (or LCD, etc.) display can do. You might find yourself squinting much more frequently, which will ultimately taint your vision.
5. Back Pain – Looking down at your phone for hours during a day is going to ruin your back sooner or later, and tons of avid cell phone users report back pain before they’ve even reached the age of 30.