Monday, 7 September 2015

86-yr-old landlady killed in Lagos fire

Tragedy struck, weekend, in Iba New Site, Ojo, Lagos State, when fire completely razed a 10-room bungalow, killing an 86-year-old woman.
It was alleged that the fire was caused by a tenant’s child, who reportedly lit a match stick and left it on a mattress. It was said to have spread to another mattress in the apartment before it engulfed the entire house.
Report said while everyone was scampering for safety, the unsuspecting landlady of the building, Mrs Ayeola James, 86, who was suffering from stroke could not move from her apartment.
Her son, who usually stayed with her, was reportedly not at home.
Confirming the incident, Lagos State Fire Service Director, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, said the charred remains of the landlady was later discovered.
When Vanguard visited the scene yesterday, one of the children of the deceased, who simply identified himself as James, said: “I went to work, leaving my mother in the house hale and hearty, only for a neighbour to call me on the phone, saying the building was on fire.
“I rushed home and from the look on every face, I knew all was not well with my mother. After much persuasion, I was told she died in the fire.”
The remains of landlady was buried yesterday.
In a related development, an explosion rocked Ikorodu area of Lagos yesterday, destroying property worth several millions of naira.
The explosion reportedly started from a shop loaded with gas cylinder at Ibeshe area of Ikorodu. Fadipe also confirmed the incident.

Report By,
Abdul-Lateef Ligali
(For Vanguard News)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, advise and encouragement are always welcome.
We are here to serve you better.

Thanks for visiting!



Management